Port Mill, now owned by a publishing company, is at the entrance to Brimscombe Port. It operated as a woollen mill until 1920.
The Salt Store at Brimscombe Port. Salt was a valuable commodity and was shipped here, down the River Severn from Droitwich. (In Stroud, salt was used to fix dyes). Notice how the stone building has barred windows on the ground floor and just slits on the first floor. The doors on the first floor would have been used for loading into the warehouse.
Cottages near to the port, built alongside the River Frome, which runs to one side of Brimscombe Port.
Another view of the salt warehouse with the Port Mill in the background.
This little chapel can be found at the roadside behind the port.
Another view of The Ship Inn. The canal was said to flow straight through the present car park.
The entrance to Brimscombe Port in early 2012. The land and buildings are still servicing a range of different businesses, but all could change soon, when restoration work begins.
Brimscombe Port and the Mill are still signposted, even though there is presently no water at the port! A more recent Cotswold Canals sign points out the line of the original canal.
A warehouse and loading bay on the roadside of the Port Mill.
East Wharf Cottages at the back of the Port were probably lived in by workers at the port. Today they are on a quiet track between the port and the River Frome.