Just before the wharf, on the towpath side, is a Georgian House known as Bridge House. This was once home of William Lane, Principal of Ebley Flour Mill (Oil Mill). Parts of the house date from the 16th Century, but the owners probably made a new frontage when the important Stroudwater Navigation was built in 1779.
Nick Darrien Jones, who has researched and written a detailed map of the Cotswold Canals, talks about the value of water.
It was seeing the canal being filled in here during the 1970s that persuaded Mike Ayland that he had to do something and he set up the Stroudwater Navigation Trust as a result.